A recent study (sorry no link) has been found that the San Francisco area is becoming more and more popular as a place for millenials to come and live after they start making a little money. If you live in the area yourself then this is probably no big revelation. Every year it seems like more millenials and fresh smarty-pants graduates tend to settle down in the bay area. Obviously the availability of super high paying career opportunities and the awesome living conditions have played a major role in this.
But what are the best places in the bay area for millenials?
I thought you’d never ask. To answer your question, here is my list of the best places near San Francisco where millenials should consider settling down.
1. The Mission – Millenials love to have fun and they prefer to living in areas that have an active nightlife, and as a result, the mission has become extremely popular with the younger set. Mission Street is considered the “main drag” by the people who live in the area, and it is a lively place no doubt about it. Not only are there a wide variety of foreign restaurants and theaters, but it is also located in close proximity to the downtown and offers convenient access to public transit.
2. Mission Bay – Mission Bay is considered as one of the newest neighborhoods in San Francisco and it is extremely popular among millenials. One factor in this (as odd as it may sound) is the fact that according to statistics millenials prefer to live in a ground floor houses and apartments. Well, here in Mission Bay it is very easy to find a ground floor pad as most of the buildings are still under construction. People who are planning to work in the tech industry in the Silicon Valley often prefer to settle down in Mission Bay.
3. The Marina – The sweet, sweet Marina is preferred by millenials who are ready to start living it up with an extra luxurious lifestyle. Not only is the Marina right on the water, but it also boasts great shopping, including an Apple store, fancy high-end baby boutiques, sushi bars, and all types of classy spots like that.
I kid you not, it is a common sight to see people walking around this area with their pure bred Golden Retrievers looking like they just stepped out of a Pottery Barn catalog.
4. Orinda – You might be surprised, but Orinda is currently extremely popular with the under 30 crowd. A lot of this has to do with the custom built homes they are building over there. Seeing as how millenials typically prefer to live in a customized home, it makes sense that they would be drawn to settle down in Orinda without a doubt about it. Another benefit to this area is the fact that it has one of the highest ranked high schools in the country (it plays to plan ahead.)
5. Palo Alto – Seeing as how Palo Alto is the home to Stanford University it makes sense that younglings who are looking forward to continuing their higher ed studies would tend to settle down in Palo Alto. Then there is also the fact that its the starting point for so many world famous tech start-ups like Facebook. I think that a lot of young folks who have the dream of becoming an entrepreneur like hanging out in Palo Alto and settling down there.
Photo Credit: Kevin Stanchfield